Let go of the stresses and anxieties of daily life by reconnecting with yourself and nature at Shamwari’s very first Yoga Weekend Getaway. This bush retreat promises to be both a relaxing and eye-opening event. Leave your worries behind and restore your mind, body and soul in the heart of the Eastern Cape wilderness. Read on to learn more.
What to Expect From Our Luxury Yoga Bush Retreat
The tranquil surroundings of South Africa’s Eastern Cape Province make it the perfect destination for a restorative bush retreat. Feel all your cares fade away and regain a fresh perspective on life as you immerse yourself in the gorgeous valleys, breath-taking plains and other wonders of nature found at Shamwari Private Game Reserve.
Shamwari’s Yoga Weekend Getaway in the bush takes place from 16-19 April 2021. You can look forward to an up to 15% discount, at a special rate of R4 850 per person per night, when you book your stay. Both two and three-night stays are available and depending on the length of your stay, you will have access to between 4-6 yoga classes.
All you need to do during this bush retreat is remember to bring along your yoga mat and be receptive to our mindful yogi’s instruction.
What’s Included In Your Yoga Weekend Getaway
Why book with us? Our yoga retreat includes the following:
- Accommodation in a luxurious 5-star lodge
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Two (2) game drives per day, led by one of our highly skilled game rangers
- Game drive drink stops on both the morning and afternoon drives
- Visits to both our Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre and Born Free Big Cat Sanctuary
- Guided bush walks, also led by one of our highly skilled game rangers
- Four (4) yoga classes with meditations suitable for yoga students/practitioners of all levels when you opt for our 2-night stay
- Six (6) yoga classes with meditations suitable for yoga students/practitioners of all levels when you opt for a 3-night stay
Your Yoga Instructor
During your yoga bush retreat, you will get to enjoy 4-6 yoga classes, led by the talented Angela Bott. She follows a mindful and slow approach during her classes, making them accessible to yoga practitioners of all levels and abilities.
Angela has a background in Inyenga practice, as well as being a trained teacher of Vinyasa yoga. Every person that attends one of her classes will reap the benefits and leave the session feeling more flexible and at peace in both body and mind. She has spent a lot of time working at health care and healing institutions throughout her career as a yogi.
Yoga Bush Retreat Dates and Future Events
As mentioned, the upcoming Yoga Weekend Getaway takes place from 16-19 April 2021. If you can’t make it during these dates, don’t fret – check in with the Shamwari reservations department frequently or check back to our Specials & Packages page for future, similar safari events.
Terms and Conditions of Our Yoga Weekend Getaway in the Bush
Please take note that, for the events to take place, our yoga weekend getaways are subject to a minimum of five bookings for the dates specified. Our Yoga Weekend Getaway Package excludes any spa treatments or laundry guests want to have done, as well as the conservation levy. This bush retreat offer isn’t combinable with any other promotions Shamwari is running.
We encourage guests to book their stay sooner rather than later, as our yoga bush retreats are subject to availability at the time of booking.
About Shamwari Private Game Reserve
A Shamwari bush retreat is second to none. Once you’ve arrived, you’ll never want to leave again, thanks to the reserve’s unspoilt beauty, along with the world-class luxury and tranquil atmosphere you’re exposed to throughout your stay. It’s no wonder that there are so many positive guest reviews (see TripAdvisor, SafariBookings and Booking.com, amongst others) available online.
While at Shamwari, you have the opportunity to coexist in harmony with nature and its creatures – great and small. If you’re lucky, you’ll get to see all of the members of the Big Five in their natural habitat, along with numerous other creatures, such as giraffes, zebras, martial eagles and flightless dung beetles. The property spans 25 000 hectares and is home to one of the greatest wildlife concentrations in both the Eastern and Southern Cape, making it a prime game viewing destination.
Shamwari is also blessed with a diversity of different habitats, as five of South Africa’s seven biomes can be found within its borders. Only guests staying at the reserve are permitted on the grounds, ensuring your game viewing excursions remain exclusive affairs.
In terms of accommodation, you have the opportunity to choose between several 5-star lodges, each with its own distinct air about it, and one Explorer Camp (more on that in a bit).
Proximity to Gqeberha (FKA Port Elizabeth)
Shamwari is conveniently located under an hour’s drive from the city formerly known as Port Elizabeth – now Gqeberha – using the N2 highway. Guests who are flying to Gqeberha and don’t wish to rent a vehicle at the airport can arrange to make use of Shamwari’s preferred airport shuttle pickup service (available at an additional fee). If you would like to use this service, please inform and book with our reservations department before your arrival.
You can read more on the Road Transfer page.
The reserve’s proximity to Gqeberha is especially attractive to guests who want to make Shamwari one stop on a longer retreat to the Garden Route. Other nearby destinations of interest include the Tsitsikamma Forest, Baviaanskloof Wilderness, Drakensberg Mountains, part of the Great Karoo, Jeffrey’s Bay and Cape St Francis, to name but a few.
Your Accommodation Options
Although Shamwari is home to seven luxurious lodges, we have decided to temporarily close some of our lodgings as a COVID-19 precaution. This shouldn’t deter you from making a reservation as the accommodation options that are currently available will ensure you enjoy an unforgettable stay. All accommodation options are fully equipped to make your time with us an exceedingly pleasant one.
The two lodgings you can choose from at the moment are Long Lee Manor and Sarili Private Lodge. Long Lee Manor is our reserve’s historic manor house that has recently (2019) undergone renovations. The manor’s adjacent accommodations have also been extensively rebuilt. It consists of 17 luxury rooms, one two-bedroom suite and features a splendid rim-flow swimming pool, amongst other things.
Perfect for families or friends who wish to enjoy a tailor-made safari retreat together, Sarili Private Lodge is fully equipped with all of the modern comforts you could desire. This exclusive-use lodge features a deck with gorgeous views across the Bushman’s River.
Sindile is our next lodge set to reopen in June 2021. It’s the reserve’s latest tented camp and offers a comfortable and secluded bush retreat. The camp consists of nine premier tents, each of which has a private heated plunge pool.
We encourage you to check in frequently to find out which of our other fine lodges will be the next to reopen:
- Surrounded by majestic cliffs, Eagles Crag is situated deep within one of the reserve’s valleys. Beautiful scenery can be experienced all around this splendid lodge. It consists of nine junior suites and is a favourite amongst couples looking for a romantic getaway.
- For a world-class tented safari, make your reservation at Bayethe Tented Lodge. Here you’ll be able to immerse yourself in nature and bask in complete tranquillity. The lodge consists of twelve superior tents, each boasting an in-room fireplace.
- Spending your bush retreat at Lobengula Lodge will allow you to admire both the reserve’s valleys and mountains from your accommodation. As it consists of only six junior suites, this deluxe lodging is extremely private and makes for a fantastic honeymoon destination.
- Families with young children who want to go on a bush retreat together should opt to make their reservation at Riverdene Family Lodge. Each aspect of the lodge was designed with family enjoyment in mind. It consists of nine luxurious inter-leading rooms and offers a number of additional activities for kids of all ages to enjoy.
- The Explorer Camp is available to our more adventurous guests who wish to go on our guided walking safaris. This camp consists of only three tents, which are settled on a plateau amongst the reserve’s only granite and basalt extrusions. Campfire dining is one of the unique features of this accommodation option.
Facilities Available at Shamwari
The facilities you’ll have access to throughout your stay differ slightly from accommodation option to accommodation option, but most of our lodgings feature the following:
- Reception and/or lounge area
- Dining room/facilities
- Relaxation Retreat bush spa
- WiFi connection
- Gift boutique
For full details of the facilities and in-room amenities of your preferred lodging, please contact our reservations department or visit the desired lodging’s page, easily accessible from here.
Activities Available at Shamwari
When making Shamwari your bush retreat destination of choice, you can look forward to enjoying the following activities:
- Two (2) safari game drive per day – one in the morning and the other in the afternoon
- Professionally guided bush walk(s)
- Bird watching
- Various Kids on Safari Programme activities for young ones (parents, please remember to register your children for the Kids on Safari Adventure Centre upon arrival at Riverdene)
- Visits to our Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre and Born Free Big Cat Sanctuary
- Relaxing by the pool (at lodges that feature them)
Please note that some activities are available at an additional fee, such as treatments at one of our Relaxation Retreat spas.
Book your Stay at One of the Top Luxury Bush Retreats in South Africa
If a Shawmari Yoga Weekend Getaway sounds like the perfect cure for the worries and stresses of your everyday life, then be sure to make your reservation today. Break away from the daily grind and reconnect with yourself and nature at a scenic Eastern Cape wilderness destination unlike any other.
We look forward to hosting you during your rejuvenating retreat.