South Africa, enjoys a warm climate year-round. During colder months (June – August), guests can expect to experience temperatures that range between 7 and 22°C, whereas in summer (November – February), temperatures can reach between 16 and 36°C. There are certain essentials to remember when packing for your safari holiday.
Firstly, in terms of clothes, bring items that are neutrally coloured, as bright or unnatural hues tend to ward off big game. And secondly, unless you’re travelling business class, your luggage shouldn’t weigh more than 20kg.
But above all, you need to be comfortable!
Pack Your Bags:
When travelling to any destination, it goes without saying that you should always have your passports, chronic or prescription medication, wallet, and plane tickets.
But, when you’re going on safari, you need to take your surroundings into account when packing, that’s why there are certain items not to forget, such as:
- Chargers – Don’t forget to bring the correct plugs and or adaptors and all of your chargers for each of your electronic devices. Each room at Shamwari does have plugs available for you to use to ensure your devices are fully charged before you embark on a game drive or walking safari.
- Clothing – Aside from plain coloured garments, you’ll need to include walking or hiking shoes that are capable of going over rougher terrains as well as a hat. The African sun is quite harsh, so a snug fitted peak or typical safari hat is recommended, along with a good pair of sunglasses. Also, don’t forget your bathing suit so you can enjoy the pool areas.
- Sunscreen – SPF 30 or higher is recommended to protect your skin against being burnt. You should also purchase a sunscreen that can be used all over the body opposed to just on the face. It’s important to bring this along in winter too, as just because the air is colder, the sun can still take its toll on your skin.
- Digital camera – If you have one available, it’s best to bring along a good quality DSLR, lenses, extra memory cards, batteries and a charger. Binoculars are also a must-have for spotting animals on game drives.
- Medication – Shamwari is a malaria-free area, so there’s no need for you to pack any preventative tablets, but we do still have mosquitoes in summer, so you should bring insect repellent along with any chronic medication you’re taking.
- Other essentials – Antiseptic cream and a multi-purpose ointment for minor scratches, bites and burns are a must. Another essential to pack is lip balm, especially if your skin is not used to humidity or dry weather.
With these essential items, you’ll have everything you need for your safari holiday. However, if you should misplace or forget any essential items we have a curio shop that has all the items you may need on your safari. Book your holiday today at Shamwari Game Reserve.