From your first point of contact with the reservations desk, up until the final moment of departure, you’re in for an exceptional experience at one of the best game reserves in South Africa – and the world. Discover how Shamwari’s hospitality, as well as a host of activities and accommodation options, ensures you have the trip of a lifetime.
Why Shamwari Is Considered A World-Class Game Reserve And Vacation Destination
Shamwari is a multi-award-winning and critically acclaimed private game reserve in South Africa’s Eastern Cape Province that places a high priority on both conservation and hospitality. Since 1998 we have won 56 World Travel Awards and have been nominated for many more, making Shamwari one of the top game reserves not only in South Africa but the whole world. When you choose to spend your vacation with us, you can be sure that you’ll make cherished memories that will last a lifetime.
At Shamwari, we set ourselves apart in everything we do. We give our all, whether that’s running conservation efforts, ensuring all accommodation options meet (and exceed) 5-star requirements or taking guests on awe-inspiring game drives. Nothing is done half-heartedly, but with a true passion for the people, the animals and the environment. Discover the Shamwari difference for yourself.
Picking the Right Lodge for Your Needs
Guests are spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing an appropriate accommodation option at Shamwari Private Game Reserve. There are six distinct 5-star lodges for you to choose from, along with an Explorer Camp for those that prefer a more adventurous stay. Whether you’re a couple looking for a romantic hideaway, a family craving a fun-filled escape or even a company seeking a unique corporate retreat, there’s a lodging that will suit your specific needs beautifully.
All seven of Shamwari’s accommodation options are spread out across the vast 250 km 2 grounds, ensuring your travel party gets to enjoy a private and memorable South African holiday experience.
Shamwari’s distinguished lodgings are:
- Sarili Private Lodge – For those looking to experience contemporary comfort and incredible views across the Bushman’s River, Sarili Lodge is ideal for you. Delight in a tailor-made wilderness stay with family and friends. Available for bookings from June 2020.
- Sindile – If you’re looking for an unrivalled luxurious tented safari experience, Shamwari’s newly built (2019) Sindile offers an ideal retreat into the African wild.
- Long Lee Manor – The historic manor house of the grounds, Long Lee Manor has undergone extensive renovations in 2019 to offer you an even better exclusive safari lodge experience. It’s the perfect accommodation option for large groups looking for an intimate and opulent stay.
- Eagles Crag – Situated deep within one of Shamwari’s valleys and encircled by dramatic cliffs, is Eagles Crag. It makes a wonderful romantic getaway, thanks to the breathtaking scenery and world-class facilities.
- Bayethe – Book your stay at Bayethe Tented Lodge for a lavish tented safari without compare. This tranquil and idyllic retreat offers guests an escape from all the troubles of the world.
- Riverdene – Children of all ages are most welcome at this recently renovated lodge (2018). Riverdene was designed with families in mind and offers a variety of additional activities to keep young travellers entertained.
Choosing which Shamwari lodge to stay in may prove to be difficult, in which case we highly recommend a return visit. After all, it’s never too early to start daydreaming about your next trip.
Travelling To Shamwari Private Game Reserve
Shamwari is located only an hour’s drive from Chief Dawid Stuurman International Airport. Guests who are looking into an extended stay will have plenty to do on the grounds, as well as in the surrounding areas. It’s this proximity to various other sights and activities that also help make Shamwari one of the best game reserves in South Africa.
If you’ll be arriving via plane and don’t intend on renting a vehicle at the airport, Shamwari offers both road and air transfer services to and from the reserve, for your convenience. Large and small parties can be accommodated. Guests are kindly requested to make transfer arrangements with the Shamwari reservations department before arrival.
All chauffeur-driven transfers are handled by a fully accredited company that has the appropriate liability and insurances in place, for your peace of mind.
|Vehicle||Number of Passengers||Rates per Vehicle|
|Nissan X-Trail||2||R1 720|
|Hyundai H1||6||R3 030|
|Toyota Quantum||12||R3 630|
Guests can also add to their African adventure by making use of Shamwari’s air transfer service. Low-level flights across the coast will be included in your air transfer, should the weather permit it. A flight from Port Elizabeth to Shamwari or Shamwari to Port Elizabeth is priced at R3 800 per person, one way.
For further details regarding Shamwari road and air transfers, click here.
*Please note that all rates are subject to change without prior notice. For the most up-to-date rates, please get in touch with Shamwari’s reservations/help desk. Due to changes in availability, the vehicle sent may vary, but will still be of equivalent size and standard.
The Best Game Reserves in South Africa Offer Guests a Variety of Activities
One of the hallmarks of any world-class game reserve and lodge is the variety of activities offered to keep guests entertained. At Shamwari, guests young and old are spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing what to do next. There truly is something for everyone, whether you’re looking for an educational, adventurous or more relaxed activity – Shamwari offers them all.
There are three primary experiences on offer:
- Safari game drives and bush walks – Guests are invited to join our exceptionally skilled rangers on the daily morning and afternoon game drives. You can expect wildlife exchanges unlike any you’ve had before. We also offer professionally guided bush walks for guests who are eager to get up close and personal with the region’s indigenous fauna and flora. Whether walking or out on a drive, you’re sure to have an extraordinary experience and leave with a newfound appreciation for the natural world.
- Birding – Avid and casual birdwatchers alike will be thrilled to learn that the malaria-free Eastern Cape Province is home to an abundance of birdlife. More than 275 distinct bird species flock to Shamwari, thanks to several bodies of water located throughout the grounds. Our knowledgeable game rangers and specialist guides will be more than happy to share their insights on the native bird species – they’ll go out of their way to get you a sighting of these beautiful feathered friends.
- Kids on Safari – Fear not, your children won’t be bored for a second during your stay. Shamwari’s Kids on Safari Programme aims to not only entertain, but educate young ones about nature conservation. Riverdene Family Lodge is also home to the Kids on Safari Adventure Centre, which boasts outdoor and indoor activities, including ziplining, rock climbing walls, an adventure slide, a treehouse network, arts and crafts, pizza making and so much more! There are activities to appeal to children of all ages.
This is just a taste of what Shamwari has to offer in terms of entertainment. Guests can also look forward to eye-opening visits to our Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre and the Born Free Big Cat Sanctuaries to learn more about the plight of injured, abandoned, orphaned and mistreated wildlife. See the difference we’re able to make, thanks to guests’ continued support.
If you’re in the mood for something a little more laid back, why not relax poolside, with a cool drink in hand? Or spin by one of our Relaxation Retreats for an indulgent spa treatment…
Don’t Delay – Make You Reservations at an Exceptional Game Reserve in South Africa and Start Packing
If you have any questions, comments or concerns, we invite you to reach out to the Shamwari reservations/help desk and we’ll gladly assist you. Book your next vacation today, to avoid long waiting periods.
We look forward to hearing from you and receiving you as our esteemed guests.
In the meantime, have a look at our Youtube video below to see what the Shamwari experience entails!
Get in Touch – Shamwari Reservations and Help Desk
Telephone: +27 (0) 42 203 1111
E-mail: [email protected]